A Rare Glimpse

Thursday, March 15, 2007

The trip down to Plainfield, New Hampshire from February 16-18 was an exciting, exhausting, interesting, and God-filled experience.

Exhausting because I drove about 8 hours there and 8 hours back without anyone to switch up the driving. I love driving and road-tripping, but it was a bit much, even for me. I could really feel the exhaustion on the Montreal to Kingston leg of the trip. Thank goodness I had company to keep me awake and chatting. I think it took me about a week to fully recover. :P

Exciting because I love road trips, new places, adventures. We took an unexpected ferry ride in the dark that was totally unnecessary! Blame it on the trip planner. Hehe. I'm kidding. Blame it on Mapquest or Google Maps. But it was a fun little detour nonetheless. We passed through 3 states, New York, Vermont, and New Hampshire all in one day on the way down, and 2 states as well as Montreal on the way home.

Interesting because in our excitement and wanting to make good time on the way to New Hampshire, we forgot that drivers need to eat before taking off on dark, winding, unfamiliar roads with oncoming car-headlight glare...which meant that the drivers ended up having to be hand-fed by the navigator in the front seat. Memories of that crack me up. And it's things like that which, I think and hope, brought the people in the car with me closer together. Thank you to my navigator who fed me and put up with me!

A God-filled weekend in that He met with every one of us on some level. The theme for the weekend was Small Beginnings, focusing on the passage from Mark 4:30-32 (parable of the mustard seed) and "Why the apparently insignificant is incomparably more valuable than everything else." What really struck a chord with me personally was how two different seeds cannot grow properly when planted together. One seed has to be uprooted, it is a painful process, but in the end, the seed representing the kingdom of God can flourish. How true...

I'm thankful for the opportunity to grow closer and know the Navs students from Queen's better. It was great seeing the Ottawa/Carleton crew! Meeting with God, on the other hand...nothing can compare!!